Saturday 2 June 2018

Ready to hang and dry.

Today's photo shoot is of 'Large Heart' in preparation for market on the 9th June. I always stuff as much of my timber art into the car as I can for market days and this time I will be including many kilos of Turmeric as well.



I am currently drying some of the turmeric to make it into a powder. We use this to sprinkle over pan fried meat, baked veggies and turmeric lattes. After all the work and time spent preparing the ground, planting, feeding and watering this is the part of the growing process that means we get to eat it!


To create your own turmeric powder chop up clean turmeric into chunks and put into your food processor.


Then wizz it up for about 15 seconds or until it looks to be the right size that you want.


It should look like this, bright orange and smelling amazing!


Spread out onto a baking tray that has a sheet of baking paper on it. You can skip this if you prefer to bake on the tray itself, I just prefer to use the paper.


Pop into a warm oven on separate shelves. Keep the temperature low, we want to dry it rather than cook it. Initially it will crerate condensation on the inside of the oven door. When you open the door a big cloud of steam will puff out so wait until it subsides before you put your face in close! Every half hour or so move the turmeric around on the tray to help it dry evenly. It will take about two hours. It will feel lighter and easier to move around on the tray when it is done. It will look a bit clumpy here and there but the next step will change it into powder.



When it has cooled down pop it all into a blender to reduce it down to a finer powder. You can leave it out for a couple of days to ensure it is completely dry and ready for storage. I store it in glass jars but you can keep it in paper bags too. The turmeric will last very well. I am still using last years!



This afternoon's bounty from the garden: eggs, chillies, capsicum and lemons for dinner tonight -  quiche and lemon cake.



This weekend perhaps you can dry your own turmeric! Let me know if you do and how it turns out. It is so encouraging to have replies on my blog here  otherwise it can feel like I am writing to myself! You can also simply subscribe by writing your email address into the field provided where it says 'follow by email' on the sidebar of this blog to have Wildwood Rambling delivered straight to your inbox.

Have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I was planning to harvest some turmeric today, Lisa. Now I'm inspired to dry and save some for making golden milk. I really like your method. I can easily do it in my kitchen with the equipment I have on hand.
    I enjoy reading your posts and love your timber art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turmeric is such a pretty plant isn't it? It is so good to know you are inspired now. It is easier than we think sometimes to create something wonderful with what we already have. The turmeric latte is hands down the most lovely drink I have ever had. It leaves me feeling relaxed and nourished. Have fun in your kitchen!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lisa - Have just discovered your wonderful blog :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Thank you for having a read and commenting, I really appreciate it. I find that writing something each week brings me into focus to keep momentum going on my life as well as simply enjoying writing again. You can have the blog sent to your email box if you wish by entering your email address on the sidebar here. Have a great weekend!

      Delete

It is lovely to hear from readers, your comments are always appreciated. Comments will be reviewed before publishing.

Holiday Cheer and Tomatoes

Wishing you all a wonderful Holiday Season.   Tomatoes from our wicking beds are cut in half and placed on baking trays. Add to thi...