Tuesday 17 April 2018

Garlic Planted, Hen House Flip.

The Garlic is in! The photo below shows the mulching almost complete. It looks so innocent doesn't it, lying there so quietly in the morning Autumn sunshine. You would never guess from this serene scene just how much effort has gone into getting it to this point. Summer still hasn't got the hint here in the Northern Rivers and refused to leave over the weekend. Rob was born and raised here so he is acclimatised to these conditions. He was able to push on for another 6 hours after I had crawled back into the house gasping and red faced from the sheer heat and effort. Over the next week the garlic will begin shooting. It is quite surprising how fast that happens.

250 kilos of blood sweat and tears
Meanwhile, on a hillside nearby Doug grazes un-perturbed by the comings and goings of tractors, trucks and sweaty humans.

Who is that masked horse?
On a completely different note, I am giving the hen-house a serious up grade by replacing the current flooring.  I like to keep our chooks up off the ground when they are in the hen house at night and when sitting in there laying eggs. This keeps them dry when we have flood conditions, warmer in winter and much cleaner. So the pallets are being replaced, and the top layer of flooring is being scrubbed clean. Today I am shoveling out a layer of the dirt that was underneath the pallets and replacing it with a fresh layer of dirt. I will let this sit for a few days before re-constructing the flooring. I like things to have a nice airing! Earlier today I went over to start work but alas, one of the hens was in the hen house sitting on the nest laying an egg, so I will have to go back later.

Our Rooster and his girls inspect the old hen house flooring.

Due to all this activity on the farm my Wildwood Art Designs timber work has been on the back burner. I have had requests for a couple of Large Heart pieces in our local shop "Indoor Delights" so will get back to my studio after a cup of tea and some home-made gluten-free sultana biscuits!

Large Heart


4 comments:

  1. Looks like you've been working hard. Congrats on the new woodwork orders - hope you found the time for a little creative outlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have worked very hard, the pay off is worth it though. For me it is also about adding nutrients to a soil that has been compacted and over grazed for decades. When we moved here it was a cattle farm paddock. The hardest place to get anything to grow is where the cattle yards used to be - lots of rubble and just like cement to dig in. You are spot on about finding time for being creative! I am on it ��.

      Delete
  2. Hello Lisa,I saw your comment on GGE where you mentioned you're in the northern rivers....me too, Murwillumbah! That's a great effort to plant all that garlic,do you sell it at the local markets? I'm keen to explore your blog now and see more of your fabulous woodwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nanette, welcome to my blog. That is amazing that you live so close by! We have been to a couple of markets with our garlic, and in June we are going to be at The Green Marquee at Currumbin with our turmeric. This last crop we sold to Brisbane markets and I sold a lot via Buy Swap and Sell pages on line. I have advertised through our facebook page as well "Hermits Peak Produce". I am glad you like my art as well, you can also see my timber work on facebook page "Wildwood Art Designs". Thanks so much for stopping by to read and comment.

    ReplyDelete

It is lovely to hear from readers, your comments are always appreciated. Comments will be reviewed before publishing.

Holiday Cheer and Tomatoes

Wishing you all a wonderful Holiday Season.   Tomatoes from our wicking beds are cut in half and placed on baking trays. Add to thi...