Friday 18 May 2018

Time for Turmeric




Turmeric harvest has begun. The photograph below shows the harvest from just one plant. We estimate that we have approximately 400 kilos ready to be pulled up. As people order, we do the harvesting. This way it is as fresh as it can be. I have seen that there is now a turmeric latte that can be bought in coffee shops or made at home. This weekend I am going to check out a couple of recipes and give it a try. Have you ever had one? I am curious to know how it tastes. Recently I had my first dandelion cappuccino. The first cup was a bit like "hmm...not sure if I like this" to "yum, this is actually quite delicious!".


This is the bounty from just one single plant. One piece of turmeric has produced this which was planted about 10 months ago.

When the turmeric is ready you will see the plant leaves starting to die off. Once we have our first decent frost of course all the leaves will die anyway. This leaves the turmeric sitting in the soil below quite happily waiting for us to pull it out.

You can see the leaves in the die off stage here.
Meanwhile you can see the garlic pushing up through the mulch. It doesn't take long for it to start growing once it is in the ground. This will be harvested again anytime from December onwards.

Strong and healthy garlic plant beginning to grow.




Here we have another day bed ready for sale. These have been made from up-cycled pallet timber. Each piece of timber goes through a thicknesser to make it all nice and smooth. We leave it to the customer to either paint, stain or varnish it, the choice is theirs. Of course I have one of my own and I can attest to it's  ability to lull anyone off to sleep...for hours at a time...!




Fits a single size mattress.

I am off to research recipes and have a snooze on my daybed! Have a great weekend everyone! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It is lovely to hear from readers, your comments are always appreciated. Comments will be reviewed before publishing.

Holiday Cheer and Tomatoes

Wishing you all a wonderful Holiday Season.   Tomatoes from our wicking beds are cut in half and placed on baking trays. Add to thi...