Sunday 9 December 2018

Home is where the Art is

"From the stars we came, and to the stars we shall return" - Jack Campbell.

Where are we from? Where are we now? As Summer steps into her full heat on this side of the world, I can feel a deepening of my own inner belonging to this place.



Having lived as a gypsy for most of my life, moving from place to place and changing States, has me pondering at times what really does make a place home. I have a wonderful life here in Northern New South Wales, however I was born down South in Adelaide.

I am seventh generation Australian on my paternal side, however everyone else is from the other side of the globe. My instincts have always drawn me towards the country life, to forests of deciduous trees, to the deep mysteries of the earth and the stars, reminding me of the invisible thread from my Celtic and European ancestors. Over the last several hundred years some of them decided to get on a ship and sail to Australia, so here I am.


This tree lives in Stirling Adelaide, my home town.
Without a doubt it is the people who make a place - our heart-felt connections to those who we have spent a life time with, friends, family. There are always the core people who we have as a touch- stone, reminding us of where we are from and where we belong now. These are people I have always known, and people I have known for decades or years. 


Here are two of my four newly planted Liquid Ambar trees. Directly across the road there is a mature Liquid Ambar so as far as I am concerned this is a grove of five trees.



A big influence on my feeling of inner stability providing me with another kind of touch-stone, are trees. I have always had a 'go to' tree wherever I live. They are a constant presence offering solace and a place to rest the heart. When I lived in Sydney in 2000-2002 there was an Oak Tree at the local park. When the sounds, sights and smells of that city got too much I would visit my friend the Oak. Standing underneath it's embrace of graceful limbs it was always cooler, quieter and completely peaceful. 


These are the spiny seed pods of the Liquid Ambar Tree that I have collected.
I now live on my own property where I have so far planted 88 trees, plus the recent three Ash trees and six White Gums. Together with the four Liquid Ambar trees I am beginning to gather a grove about me!
This makes me feel right at home. I am so blessed to have this place to rest my bones. 


These beauties also live in Stirling South Australia

This sense of place and who I am is influencing my art. There has always been this influence with what I produce in the studio, however it has now altered, changed course to reflect my own inner self at a much deeper level.



Recent scribblings are directing me to what the outcome will be. I am curious to see what eventuates in the studio over the coming months.

I really didn't think I had a blog in me to produce for you this week as I am in a deeply healing place that is taking much of my attention and efforts. However, here it is once again!
"Ha en vakker uke" - "Have a beautiful week" to you in the Norwegian language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is lovely to hear from readers, your comments are always appreciated. Comments will be reviewed before publishing.

Holiday Cheer and Tomatoes

Wishing you all a wonderful Holiday Season.   Tomatoes from our wicking beds are cut in half and placed on baking trays. Add to thi...